State Senator John Proos was first elected to the Michigan Senate in November 2010 to represent the 21st district, and was re-elected in 2014. He served as State Representative of the 79th district from 2005 through 2010. Sen. Proos resides in St. Joseph with his wife Kristy and three children, Elena, Jack and Nora.
Senator Proos serves as vice chair of the Energy and Technology and Local Government committees and is a member of the Finance and Michigan Competitiveness committees. As a member of the Senate Appropriations committee, he serves as chair of the Corrections and Judiciary subcommittees, and is also a member of the Human Services subcommittee.
Sen. Proos is a 1988 graduate of Lake Michigan Catholic High School. He holds a bachelor of Political Science from Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI and a Master’s in Higher Education Administration from Michigan State University.
Proos has previously worked on the staff of Congressman Fred Upton serving in several different capacities, including deputy chief of staff and district director. Proos also worked as vice president of Heritage Homes Inc. of Michigan in Berrien County.
PAST PUBLIC AFFILIATIONS
Proos has served as Berrien County Republican Party Chairman and has been a member of the Berrien County Republicans. Proos was also a member of the Berrien County Election Staff for the Bush/Cheney campaign in 2000.
COMMUNITY SERVICE AND AFFILIATIONS
In addition to family and political life Proos is active in many Southwest Michigan groups including the Rotary Club of St. Joseph/Benton Harbor and the United Way of Southwest Michigan. Proos is a board member of the Berrien Community Foundation and member of St. Joseph the Provider Knights of Columbus Chapter of St. Joseph Catholic Parish and the Coloma American Legion Post 362. He was also a member of the Lakeland Regional Health System Community Benefits Committee and HOSTS mentor for Benton Harbor Area Schools.
- 2005 Wine Michigan Legislator of the Year
- 2006 Michigan State Medical Society Legislator of the Year
- 2006 Literacy Advocate Award
- 2006 Michigan Agri-Business Association Agricultural Advocate Award
- 2007 Healthy Legislator Award, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- 2008 Habitat for Humanity Legislative Build Co-Chair
- 2008 Healthy Legislator Award, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- 2009 Health Legislator Award, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- 2010 Small Business Association of Michigan Legislator of the Year
- 2010 Healthy Children’s Award
- 2010 Habitat for Humanity Public Servant of the Year
- 2010 Michigan Food and Farming Systems Legislator of the Year
- 2010 Healthy Legislator Award, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- 2011 YMCA Legislative Champion Award
- 2011 Healthy Legislator Award, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- 2012 Michigan Pork Producers Association Recognition Award
- 2012 Healthy Legislator Award, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- 2013 Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police Legislator of the Year Award
- 2013 Michigan Manufacturers Association Advocate of the Year Award
- 2014 Legislator of the Year Award, Michigan Braille Transcribing Fund
- 2014 South Haven Visitors Bureau Legislative Leadership Award
- 2016 Coalition to Keep Michigan Warm Legislator of the Year Award
- 2016 Michigan Association of Treatment Court Professionals Legislator of the Year
- 2017 Prosecuting Attorneys Association Frank J. Kelley Justice Award
- 2017 Sheriffs Association Legislator of the Year Award
Senator John Proos can be contacted by clicking here.